Does this present a Takeover opportunity for you?
Will Shire close the gap with Takeda’s £49 offer price as the deal nears completion?
- The chart shows the Shire share price movements since April 2018.
- 5 Dec: Takeda shareholders give approval for Shire takeover.
- 12 Nov: Takeda expects Shire merger to complete ~8 Jan;
- 12 Nov: Takeda sets shareholder approval meeting for 5 Dec
- 12 Nov: Takeda agrees to divestments; expects EU approval of merger ~20 Nov
- 12 Nov: Takeda expects pre-tax cost synergies of >$1.4B/year after three years
- Takeda is offering Shire shareholders £49/share (shares and cash)
- Shares now 4671p (at time of writing)
- Will the shares close the gap with the offer/implied offer, or will the deal hit hurdles?
Trading Shire – An Example
Let’s say you think Shire shares are likely to rise further as the deal nears completion, towards the £49/share offer. You decide to buy exposure to £10,000 worth of Shire using a CFD, at the current price of 4671p. To do this, you need £2,000.
For the purpose of this example, let’s assume the Shire share price rises by 4.9% to £49. Your profit would be £490, from your initial investment of £2,000.
Conversely, let’s assume you open the above position, and place a stop-loss at 5% from the current price. The deal hits a hurdle, sentiment sours and Shire shares fall 5% and hit your stop-loss. Your loss would be £500.
This is provided for information purposes only. It should not be taken as a recommendation.