Is this breakout a good trade for you?
Will Severn Trent turn, or will it continue to rise beyond 1964p?
- The chart shows the last 2.5 month’s price action for Severn Trent
- The shares have broken above a resistance level at 1930p to trade 1964p (at time of writing).
- The ‘trend is your friend’. Will it continue?
- Will the shares rise back Aug 2026p highs?
- Shares -10.9% from 2018 highs; +16.7% from 2018 lows; -9.1% year-to-date.
- 1 Nov: Severn Trent considering Ofwat proposal to increase waster water customer (ODI) price cap
- Sever Trent is a UK water utility company, also operating in the US and Europe.
- Source: Bloomberg, FT, Reuters, DJ Newswires
Trading Severn Trent – An Example
Let’s say the breakout appeals to you, you think it’s likely to continue. You decide to buy exposure to £10,000 worth of Severn Trent using a CFD, at the current price of 1964p. To do this, you need £2,000.
Let’s assume the Severn Trent trend continues upwards to 2026p (+3.1%). Your profit would be £310, from your initial investment of £2,000.
Conversely, let’s assume you open the above position, and place a stop-loss at 3% from the current price. Severn Trent breaks lower, falling 3% and it hits your stop-loss. Your loss would be £300.
This is provided for information purposes only. It should not be taken as a recommendation.